Monday 5 January 2009

Gaza

I went to the demonstration in London on Saturday, protesting against the invasion of Gaza. It filled Trafalgar Square. I was glad to see Jews for Justice for Palestine and other Jewish groups. I believe Israel is doing terrible harm to Jews all over the world by trying to implicate them in its action.

At the last Iraq-War demo I went to a couple of years ago, people threw children's shoes on to the road in front of Downing Street. This time they threw adult footwear, echoing the recent shoe-throwing against Bush - a nice instance of rapid cultural evolution!

On the BBC next morning there was a phrase about "ugly scenes" at the demo. I walked all round Trafalgar Square and saw nothing ugly, nor did I see anything on TV. On the contrary, people were surprisingly good-humoured considering the suffering that we were protesting against.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: