Wednesday 5 November 2008

A Muslim President?

I expect half of Britain was awake at midnight Chicago time for Obama's President-elect speech. I peered into the faces in the crowd thinking I might see Fran, whose blog I have been following (theaudacityofboats.blogspot.com/), and forgetting that she has moved on; lovely to know that one of my ex-students was there, doing her bit to ensure his success!

I have two worries about his presidency. Will his legislation be frustrated by filibusters in the Senate, as happened with Hillary Clinton's health-care project? And will he fail to do justice to the Arabs for fear of being accused of being a crypto-Muslim?

And that makes me wonder how long it will be before a Muslim can be elected President. It has taken more than two centuries for the first African-American.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: